Lanes for Drains is an industrial, commercial and domestic drain specialist with depots across the UK. Services include unblocking, jetting, cleaning, repairs, surveys and management.
The overarching business objectives were to:
- Increase the number of enquiries received via the website
- Improve the order potential (revenue) of these enquiries
- Raise brand awareness
To achieve these goals, we devised the ‘Fatberg Fighters’ educational campaign aimed at children, parents, teachers and the general public to teach them what can, and cannot be disposed of down drains.
Every year, Lanes for Drains excavates hundreds of fatbergs (congealed lumps of fat, oil, grease and other items such as wet wipes and condoms) from UK sewers. Fatbergs are a man-made issue, caused by a lack of awareness for what can and cannot be put down drains, causing a multitude of environmental problems.
To tackle this issue, and achieve Lanes's objectives, we devised an integrated content, PR and outreach and SEO campaign that would:
- Secure links to the website
- Generate brand citations and links back
- Demonstrate expertise and thought leadership
- Drive traffic to the website
- Grow organic traffic
- Increase engagement with the website
- Give back to the community
We created two lesson plans, which were delivered with teachers in a number of schools. These were added to a purpose-built educational resource onsite page (generating over 1,000 views to date) along with video content explaining the campaign.
We also ran a survey to generate newsworthy unique statistics about the issue, securing over 60 pieces of coverage.
Finally, we implemented a variety of onsite activities, which included:
- Growing-long tail traffic through the provision of quality, long-form advice content.
- Building new citations and correcting all inconsistent citations and directory details for individual depots to improve local visibility in the search results
The Fatberg Fighter's campaign was recognised and celebrated as a finalist for the:
- Most Effective Search Marketing Campaign category at the 2019 Effective Digital Marketing Awards
- Best CSR Campaign at the 2018 Northern Marketing Awards
Our next campaign for Lanes, Sinner or Binner? was a finalist for the Northern Marketing Awards 2019. Find out we secured this nomination here.
With all of the combined campaign activity, we successfully realised the target business goals by boosting website enquiries by 41%, year-on-year, which in turn increased the total order potential value by 209% .
In addition, the website saw a year-on-year increase in organic search traffic of 32% and the visibility of the top four target keywords improved dramatically with impressions increasing, on average, by over 50%.
PR & Media Coverage
The campaign caught the eye of a wide range of sectors, leading to exceptional and wide-ranging media coverage. This included articles in national newspapers such as the Daily Mail and the Metro, regional press including Rochdale Online and the Oldham Chronicle, as well as niche publications including Environment Journal, Catering Today and Professional Beauty. All of this led to a significant improvement in brand awareness for the client, both off and online.